- Credit: pixabay.com
- Posted By: Dr.SS Verma, Dept. of Physics, SLIET, Longowal (Punjab)
- 2020-03-10 15:37:32
Use of electronics today has become so much a part of our daily lives that we can hardly think of the way the world would be without electronics. It is no exaggeration to mention that at present everything from cooking to music uses electronics or electronic components in one or the other way. Day to day life of mankind has been influenced by the use of electronic devices in various areas: like entertainment, sensing, transport, communication, data storage, surveillance, authentication, screening/ detection, medical, pest control, pollution control, cleaning, conservation, hazard management, paranormal manifestations, office work, heating and cooling, weight control, beauty electronics along with cooking with electronics. Different electronics based cooking appliances like: microwave oven, electric cooking stove, electric heaters, electric cook top, induction heating, water purifiers, cooler/ACs/fans/geysers, electric kettle, electric pressure cooker, juicers/mixers, sandwich makers, toaster, egg boilers, rice cooker, air fryers and many more have already become an integral part of smart kitchens. The kitchen has often been called the heart of the home but now with the growing use of electronics based cooking appliances we are moving towards kitchens with brains, too.
Electronics in kitchen
Technology is continuously making things smarter and interesting that as a result even the most basic things we use on day-to-day basis have become pretty advanced. It was just a few years ago that voice assistants weren't common things to have in homes, and now apps and voice assistants can control everything from light bulbs to refrigerator in the house and now we can even talk to our microwave and control the blender from phone. There are ways to cook with the help of smart phones that don't involve ordering delivery through an app. Connected appliances and kitchen devices are the ideal gadgets for smart home. They can automate parts of the cooking process, keep updated on the progress of food, or simply make sure to follow a recipe correctly. The advances in the fields of technology and electronics and their mix have brought a stage to specialize in products and solutions with higher added values, better quality, accuracy and reliability. In a technological market where the demand for overall professional solutions is increasing, cooking sector is also not left behind to focus on the strategic shift to offer cooking electronics based devices using IoT technology solutions. With the inroad of electronic gadgets we are moving towards connected Wifi kitchen gadgets also which can be remotely monitored and controlled from iphone or Android smartphone app. The Internet of Things (IoT) is making possible a new wave of smart kitchen gadgets, from sensors that know when the stove has been left on to forks that remind us to slow down and savor each bite. These IoT products are changing the way we order, store, cook and consume food in our homes. Cooking has never been easier, or more connected as it is now.
The present generation has spent more time with electronic devices rather than in kitchen from their childhood itself. They are not well aware of delicacies in traditional cooking and not have enough time for completing cooking with constant supervision which takes a long time. Thus, they need the smart electronic cooking devices to make their life easy and enjoyable in kitchen. A smart electronic cooking appliance is a device that can be connected to smartphone or tablet for better control, convenience, and information. Cooking is an art form that encourages creativity, but it also requires precision and control if we want a meal that is actually fully cooked and tastes good. Smart kitchen gadgets combine advances in technology and electronics with traditional appliances and guide through the cooking process to help make cooking safer, precise and easier. Electronic devices provide added features such as reheating, programmable timers and the ability to switch from searing ingredients to slow or pressure cooking food. Bringing tech into the kitchen has its benefits as:
- For a novice in cooking or a seasoned cook who wants to multitask, the smart kitchen appliances can help to create the perfect meal.
- They also free up from spending unnecessary time watching the meal cook as many of the appliances paired with apps let us monitor and adjust temperatures, cooking times, and power switches remotely.
- Easy to monitor cooking process and adjust various settings from inside and outside the house as well to measures the nutrition value of each cooking ingredient.
- Save valuable preparation time by letting the food processor do the most of the work fast.
- To minimize the energy used by kitchen electronics appliances, it is helpful first to understand their operating modes and how power consumption varies by mode. This will make it easier to understand the opportunities for saving energy in the many different electronics based cooking devices.
Electronic cooking advances
- Air fryer with a number of cooking modes and paired with apps helps to cook many different recipes and controls its settings and pairs so to use it without even touching a button.
- Blenders are an important appliance to mix sauces, juices or soups. Smart electronic assisted blender can detect the container size, and then adjust program settings and blending times accordingly, while the programmable, built-in timer turns the blender off automatically when custom recipe is done blending. High-powered blenders often perform multiple functions, from pureeing and blending to chopping and smoothie making. Smart blender also connects to Bluetooth, and through its app, one can update grocery list and track nutritional information for all favorite smoothies.
- Embedded sensors in both the cook top and the pan allow them to connect to the accompanying app, guiding through recipes and ensuring to never over or undercook a meal.
- Unlike many other small appliances, coffee makers are found everywhere and one can use these appliances in kitchens, offices and hotel rooms. Coffee makers are coming with adjustable temperatures, integrated water filters and permanent filters for optimal versatility.
- Electric griddle or electric grills of all types are welcome in the kitchen these days because these are small, smoke-free and easy to clean. Moreover, the food cooked on an electric grill tastes great and can be healthier than pan-fried food.
- For chopping a lot of vegetables in a short amount of time, a food processor is the best friend. Many units come with a variety of blade attachments so that we can pick and choose which blade will work best for our processing needs.
- French fries, hush puppies and chicken fingers are all made to perfection by a deep fryer and helpful features include programming, automatic shut-off and pause-and-serve features make the electronic fryers very useful appliances in kitchen.
- Kitchen smart scale will help us to make the perfect drink every single time as this scale connects to hundreds of recipes through a smartphone app and can make choice about substituting ingredients and changing portion sizes. To use the scale, pour the ingredients into the glass until hear a sound. In case of over pour, the scale will re-calculate the proportions so the drink still tastes delicious. Shake or stir away, and the built-in timer will tell when we've reached the optimal dilution and chill.
- Kitchen thermometer is a Bluetooth-connected monitor that uses wired probes to measure the temperature simultaneously of up to two different dishes being cooked. Hence, there is no need to stick around the whole time to watch the numbers rise, since it connects with an app on mobile device to let know that something has reached its desired temperature. The smart thermometer has an outdoor wireless range of few hundred feet and can send a notification and alarm when the meal reaches to the set temperature. The thermometer itself can have an easy-to-read LCD display and the probes can be left inside the oven for the entire time.
- Microwaves provide fast cooking, steaming and reheating, which makes them an ideal addition to the kitchen especially in case of a busy schedule. Microwaves heat food in less than half the time of a conventional oven. Microwaves are easy to operate and extremely durable. No small appliance is more beloved than the microwave oven and has already become an integral part of every kitchen but now we simply talk to microwave and control it with our voice. It also has scan-to-cook technology that helps cook food perfectly every time.
- It is laborious to stir bread dough or cake batter and now mixers make it easy to combine wet and dry ingredients, like flour and eggs. Some mixers come with dough-hook attachments for kneading.
- Presently, smart oven claims to have seven appliances in one, acting as a convection oven, air fryer, dehydrator, slow cooker, broiler, toaster, and warming drawer-all from one little spot which can also be controlled from phone. Steam Oven is a super-functional multi-purpose smart oven capable of baking, broiling, and steaming foods through app control and QR codes.
- Present rice cookers take the guesswork out of making rice on stove-top and get consistent results. Rice cookers help to make perfect rice every time with the push of a single button. Fast and slow cookers are made for their specific applications. In a slow cooker, simply add the ingredients, set the time and temperature, and let the cooker do all the work while away at work. On the other hand, pressure cookers deliver richly flavored meals in a fraction of the time it takes with traditional cooking methods.
- Smart fridge has become more than a food storage appliance. Fridge let to check their status through phone so the user can make sure things in the fridge is working properly. These fridges have own touch screen and can function as a communication center for home, and even have cameras inside so to see what is less inside while we are out for shopping. This can set expiration notifications so food never goes bad, plan a meal based on the available ingredients in fridge, and we can see the contents of fridge from anywhere.
- Cooking sous vide involves vacuum sealing food and immersing it in a water bath kept at a very precise temperature. The sealing process ensures that no moisture is lost, and the water temperature ensures the food can't overcook. This results in a tender, perfectly & quickly cooked food providing a crisp outer texture.