In the technological era, imparting and gaining education has also been extensively influenced by technology and with increasing number of technological tools self-studying is on the rise and education is no longer confined to just the classroom. Before also, at the time of examination season, no matter how good teachers and friends are in terms of helping with the preparations, the maximum one will learn and grasp was via self study. Therefore, f
Obtaining broad, active, representative and serious participation from students towards online teaching-learning process is often difficult which is further marked by difficulties & disinterest due house hold problems, internet connectivity and students being busy in other activities. This problem is more serious with students at lower level classes as compared to students at higher classes. Every effort should be made to enlist, motivate and encourage every student’s active participation in ONLINE teaching-learning process. All faculties have a major role to play in the self study process. The faculty perspective on the integrity, quality, and effectiveness of the institution is an integral part of an effective self-study process.
Self-studying has always an integral part of learning but at present with the availability of advanced educational tools as well as rising demand due to COVID-19 pandemic, self learning is becoming a learning method where students direct their own studying-outside the classroom and without direct supervision. Students are able to take control of what (and how) they are learning and self-study can be a very valuable way for many students to learn. The ultimate method of self learning is so much more than just a way of learning. It releases your exclusive ability to tackle virtually any challenge, skill or subject, without regard to your current level of experience, and accomplish your goals even when a formal instruction is unavailable. With so much information available online, it has become easier than ever for students to learn by themselves. Thus, self-study is becoming more popular a way to engage students with what they might be learning in classes and not only all educational institutes are in race but private players are also equally enthusiastic to jump into the field of ONLINE teaching and learning process. Through self-learning online, students have the ability to access so many resources that now, learning can happen anywhere, anytime. Self-studying is a great method which can be used by anyone to enhance learning experience, whether they are studying for a course or learning about a topic for fun. Using self-study, students are able to go beyond simply learning what their class textbooks and instructors teach them and they are encouraged to further explore topics in which they are interested to develope stronger study skills as a result. One of the major advantages of self-study is that students can take control over their own learning which will make them more interested in learning. There are various advantages of self-learning, some of them being:
- Self study helps the students to widen their thinking level.
- It gives freedom of learning without any restrictions.
- Self-learning would enable the learner to explore the interests of learning.
- Self-learning is more fun than regular teaching.
- Self study will build a sense of responsibility in students and they will start accepting responsibility.
- Self-learning means that you can read different interesting new books, rather than boring notes by teachers or textbooks.
- Students can make study material on their own.
- There is no fear of criticism during self study.
- Students may learn at their own desired time and according to their schedule.
- Self-learning makes the students to understand and memorize things more naturally as they work themselves, as compared to the regular teaching where teacher’s spoon feed the information into them.
- Self-learning gives an opportunity to the passionate students to go in details of a subject and can interact with the subject matter as deeply they would like to go.
- Self study gives a great opportunity to develop self-confidence and a good work ethic.
- Students develop the potential to perform better tests because they are already used to tackling problems on their own, which increases their confidence.
When the teacher has uploaded the reading material related to the course for the use of students then it becomes the domain of the student to make an effective self study plan to read, learn, solve and be able to answer the questions on the contents. Making a self study plan is very important document in order to be able to execute the online teaching-learning process for better outcome. Self study plan can have the following components:
- Set your objectives as per the topics to be studied.
- Look out for good and reliable information sources. Make sure that contents of lecture notes are containing all the information related to the mentioned topics.
- Develop interest and keep learning. Make a plan with effective implementation and cover the topic well.
- Read (online) or better you download the contents on the paper and then read (offline).
- While reading online, make sure that the size of the text is enlarged enough so that it is easily readable and does not strain your eyes.
- Always take regular breaks during self learning.
- You can take help of other reading resources like books or the internet also to read about the topics.
- Read line by line for basic concepts and keep on making notes on each topic.
- Be prepared to deal with problems. Try to solve all the mathematical derivations and formulae on pen and paper mode and make your notes.
- Look out for learning communities. You should share and discuss openly about your learning process with your friends for a better outcome.
- Make efforts to solve related numerical and short/long answer types questions on the topics.
- You can attempt MCQs (MOCK TESTS) on the related topics of course using internet resources.
- Where there is a problem in understanding or derivation, you can send me a mail and I will try to resolve the problem.