In a outbreak of 2014 the Kolkata Municipal Corporation health department who gathered information on the mystery fever has found out 12403 wells, 17460 open surface drains, 4704 uncovered water tanks, 5202 slum clusters and 3802 under construction buildings which could pose a threat to public health.1 A mystery fever has affected hundreds of children, aged between three and 10 years, have been affected in June-July 2014. There is no vaccine. A comprehensive overview of the Mystery fever in wake of the 2008-2017 outbreaks in India is hereby presented and discussed.
There is no specific system is reported of this disease. Some systems reported in different hospitals of India- body temperature, body ache, nausea, unconsciousness and convulsions akin.
On Oct. 2008 Over 300 people in Budge Budge and Bishnupur ( West Bengal), were suffered from a mystery fever. 2 deaths were reported. Suspect Disease: Chikungunya or dengue not conformed
On June 2011, 125 cases and 43 deaths were reported from both Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) and Krishna Daviprasad Kesarival Institution (KDKM) in the Muzaffarpur district, Bihar. Suspect Disease: Japanese encephalitis not conformed.
On Sept. 2012 Three children were died of a mysterious fever, suspected to be dengue, while 200 others have been admitted to the Malda district hospital (West Bengal). The symptoms include high body temperature, body ache and nausea.Suspect Disease: Chikungunya or dengue not conformed
On Oct 12 2012, 4 People died in chennai due to Mystery fever Though symptoms seem to be like Chikungunya or dengue, but negative in the blood tests. Suspect Disease: Chikungunya or dengue not conformed
On Oct. 2013 One person in Surat died of the mystery fever. The sixth victim of the mysterious fever died at Sufi hospital at Lalgate. Suspect Disease: leptospiroses not conformed
On Nov 16 2013, a mysterious fever that had reported in Chennai, India. Suspect Disease: Chikungunya or dengue not conformed.
On Aug 26, 2016, Mystery fever kills 12 in a fortnight in Noida’s Sarfabad village
On Aug 31, 2017, Three children die of ‘mystery fever’ at Kanpur’s Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital
Why this fever remain Mysterious in India for many years:
1. Maximum of these cases held in rural areas where MBBS Doctors are not available or no pathology lab is there.
2. In India there are many AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) practitioners. They do not refer any test for this types of cases.
3. Number of "Jhola Chap (Without a degree)" Doctor are instrumental in the various parts of the country particularly in the village areas.
4. In India some chemists or medical shopkeepers prescribes the drugs to people directory in case of initial stages of fever, cold, cough etc.
5. Surveillance system of India is not very good. People are not aware about the new Disease outbreaks and they don’t know where they have to report.
6. In maximum cases samples were send to the ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) Labs. These labs and Scientist are not sufficient.
7. Maximum Cases reported in during and after rainy season.
An outbreak, suspected to be Mystery fever occurred in the Muzaffarpur district, Bihar in June, 2011. The symptoms were high fever, followed by bouts of unconsciousness and convulsions akin. Several children died in Tirhut division alone with the maximum number of deaths concentrated in and around Muzaffarpur district.
Suspect Disease: Japanese encephalitis not conformed
In June 7 2014 Most residents of Koundampatti village in Manachanallur taluk kolkata are visiting hospitals near and far after the outbreak of a strange fever. More than 150 families in the entire village show symptoms of an illness.
Suspect Disease: Chikungunya not conformed
In Sept. 2012 Three children have died of a mysterious fever, suspected to be dengue, while 200 others have been admitted to the Malda district hospital (west Bengal). The symptoms include high body temperature, body ache and nausea.
Suspect Disease: Chikungunya or dengue not conformed
Source: Times of India, hindustantimes.com, zeenews.india.com